Monday, March 28, 2005

Printing in the 21st Century

Speaking of self-replication...

"A self-replicating 3D printer that spawns new, improved versions of
itself is in development at the University of Bath in the UK. The 'self
replicating rapid prototyper' or RepRap could vastly reduce the cost of
3Dprinters, paving the way for a future where broken objects and spare
parts are simply 're-printed' at home. New and unique objects could also
be created. 3D printing - also known as 'rapid prototyping' - transforms a
blueprint on a computer into a real object by building up a succession
of layers. The material is bonded by either fusing it with a laser or by
using alternating layers of glue.”

Sounds like science fiction doesn’t it? Then again, we are in the 21st
Century folks!

5 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

Great info. I've now subscribed to this blog feed so I can access it within my rapid prototyping cnc site. This will make your blog one click away for me.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I can't wait until I install my rss reader so I can subscribe to this blog. I'll have to finish building my rapid prototyping tooling site first so that I'll have a place to install the feed. Prototyping is my hobby.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Katbo said...

Is this blog feed live? I'd like to subscribe to it using my aggregator. It's possible that my site rapid prototyping can get your feed automatically so I can keep up with our design and cnc posts here.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I can't wait until I install my rss reader so I can subscribe to this blog. I'll have to finish building my rapid prototyping tooling site first so that I'll have a place to install the feed. Prototyping is my hobby.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I can't wait until I install my rss reader so I can subscribe to this blog. I'll have to finish building my rapid prototyping tooling site first so that I'll have a place to install the feed. Prototyping is my hobby.

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home